We were approached by 12062020 Olympia to support them in designing a touchpoint for their event communication.
Team & job
I worked on this project with fellow designer Tobi Nusser for two weeks.
Our schedule went as follows:
- 1 week of research, problem framing and ideation
- 1 week of interface and motion design
An iOS event app that facilitates communication for a large number of attendees.
What is 12062020 Olympia?
It all started as an online crowdfunding campaign that raised 2 million euros for a non-profit event on democracy.
The event will take place in the Olympic stadium of Berlin and will host up to 80,000 attendees, plus live stream viewers.
Experts will present solutions for current challenges in the areas of democracy, ecology, and social justice.
These, in turn, will be signed in the form of petitions and presented to the German government.
What’s the problem then?
We had a long meeting with the project manager representing the organization and got to know more about the challenges they face and the needs they have to serve.
We also had a closer look at the brand identity and the language used on their website (pre-update) and social media accounts.
Our problem statement was formulated as the following:
How Might We provide visitors with guidance throughout the day of the event to ease participation and ensure a strong impact?
What we discovered
We headed out and conducted our research. All forms of it.
We sent out an online survey, met with event ticket holders, and dug deep in online research. We were seeking new insights to discover what our user pain points were and here were the most notable ones:
We collected all of the user pains/needs and clustered them under four main umbrellas:
Having collected all of our research, we defined what the design principles of our mobile application should be based on:
The user persona and user flows came next. Even though this festival will accommodate a very wide audience, a target group was set for 20–35-year-olds. They are embodied in the examples below:
Design Design Design
After multiple trials and errors, we decided to strip everything off.
We concluded that the schedule was the most important focus for the users during the event and everything else (Profile, Map, Settings, and Information) could be tucked away as they will be used less during the day.
The below recording displays:
1- The onboarding process
2- Refining one’s interests in ‘Settings’
3- Viewing updates from the event
4- Discovering talks/workshops on the main section of the app
5- Learning more about a specific talk, saving it and then retrieving it in ‘Favorites’
This second recording shows:
1- Accessing the map from the main cards
2- Viewing all of the talks/workshops that are happening at a certain location
3- Adding/removing a filter
4- Checking one’s seat on the map
5- Retrieving the event ticket
Joining it all together
To make it one comprehensive user experience, we needed to tie every design and usability decision to the four pillars I previously mentioned.
That was our day-to-day challenge, making every element necessary and useful.
In hindsight, I believe we did a good job of choosing to work on an existing project with real stakeholders.
That allowed me to understand more about how a fast-paced start-up environment works and what is essential to accomplish day by day.
Developing a working product in two weeks was at best a demanding task. Time management and a solid road map were crucial for the realization of this project.
We had the opportunity to present our final project to the general public at the Ironhack hack show alongside students from the Web Development and Data Analytics courses.
At the end of this project, my day to day hustle at Ironhack ends as well.
The past 9 weeks have been a steep learning curve. I nevertheless feel that I have yet a lot to learn, and I look forward to it now more than ever.
Some parts of the process were omitted from this post for the sake of a concise delivery. :)
Feel free to reach out for a more thorough step-by-step case study.